Thursday, September 15, 2011

"In Search Of..."

Whenever my buddy, Margaret, is trying to find something, she usually prefaces her hunt by muttering, "In search of..." and then her voice trails off until she locates the missing item.  In my quest to find gainful employment, I'm starting to think that maybe I should do the same, especially if it'll bring me closer to the job I really want.  Whatever works, right?  Or maybe not.



Prevailing job-search wisdom dictates the following:
  • Never apply for a job for which you're unqualified -- under any circumstances.  The unpleasant reality is that this is a waste of everyone's time, especially in a tight job market where even the qualified are struggling to stand out.
  • Resumes should always be professional, detailed (without going overboard), organized, and compelling.  If your resume writing skills are lacking, hire a professional or find a talented friend/family member to help you out free of charge.
  • Generic cover letters and/or overly personalized cover letters are a no-no.  In other words, no blatant form letters or missives which wax enthusiastically on your love for skiing unless you're applying for a slope instructor position in Vail, Colorado.
  • Do not talk money upfront unless a salary request is included in the classified ad.  Ever.
  • Kindly refrain from showing up uninvited at the front door of a company which may or may not be hiring -- unless you already have an appointment.  No one likes unexpected company, so do yourself a favor and don't be that person.
And my personal favorite:
  • All resumes and cover letters must be thoroughly proofread prior to being sent.

So I'm following the rules with an absolute vengeance, and have netted one interview after almost two weeks of hardcore job-searching.  Considering the current job market, I'm probably doing quite well, response-wise.  Proofreading is a notoriously difficult profession to break into, and because it's so niche-oriented, jobs are scarce.  Fortunately, I have options with respect to the range of jobs for which I can apply.  My undergraduate degree is in journalism, so I'm qualified for myriad positions including copywriting, copyediting, public relations, marketing communications, et cetera.  I also possess secretarial skills, which have come in handy during times of professional hardship, so I am certainly not averse to accepting an administrative position.  After all, it's honest work which pays a decent wage, and while I'd prefer a position more in line with my academic achievements and professional goals, it's important to be practical and remain flexible in today's topsy-turvy job market.  So while I'm always proud to proofread, I'm equally proud to accept any position for which I'm qualified which will enable me to continue paying my own way -- with my head held high and my dignity firmly intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment