Monday, September 26, 2011

"Come to me and I will help you..."

I recently received a letter in the mail from the Department of Labor instructing me to come down to their One-Stop Employment Center for a group orientation.  It's less of an invite and more of an edict, but for good reason.  The Labor Department doesn't want any slackers on the unemployment roll, so the sooner we find work, the better.  The Labor Department is more than willing to help out as far as the job search goes, but we've got to do our part too, and this means paying a periodic visit.


Even though I have been meticulous about sending out resumes, unfortunately, not every job-seeker is as motivated.  So it's actually a good thing the Labor Department holds these periodic get-togethers.  It's a chance for them to monitor the job-searching progress of the unemployed masses, but also an opportunity to showcase all that the Labor Department has to offer job-seekers.  And the Labor Department has an impressive arsenal of resources.  I must say I was quite impressed this morning.  Stop by your local Labor Department to get your job search off the ground and you'll find office equipment (fax machines, photocopiers, and phones), computers (PC and Mac) and computer courses/tutorials, workshops, a career resource library, job listings/job fairs, and most importantly, genuine, positive support from the staff.  The One-Stop Employment Center really does live up to its name as it offers job-seekers all one could ever want under one roof while looking for work.  Best of all, you're surrounded by folks in the same boat, so any unemployment-related shame immediately falls by the wayside.  So what's not to love about the Labor Department?

As it happens, I am good to go with my trusty laptop, reliable printer, and my usually cooperative internet connection.  I have a slew of media-related career websites where I spend much quality time, and I keep my writing skills sharp by continuing to blog.  My focus is firm and my commitment to my job search is undeniable.  I am also highly motivated to find work as I hate being at home and I have too much energy to sit around for very long.  I also need the paycheck, which is incentive in and of itself.  But for folks who are without these resources for whatever reason, the Labor Department is a great place to get started on the job search.  In addition to its stockpile of services, it also offers a supportive environment in which to stay focused.  Sure, you could drop by your local library to use a computer, but while you're there looking for work, you just know temptation will beckon to surf the web or check out a good book.  The Labor Department circumvents this by allowing computer users to access career-related websites only, and the only books you'll find in their library focus on finding work.  So it's a good place to stay grounded in the job search.  And who knows?  It just may lead you to a job!

No comments:

Post a Comment