Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Pensive Constitutional

I've been working hard at staying motivated during this unfortunate lapse of employment, spending much quality time at the boardwalk.  My motivation is actually two-fold.  I walk for my health -- not just my physical health, but also, my mental health.  It keeps me fit and focused, and it also takes my mind off my troubles.  When I'm walking by the water, I feel energized, eager, and alert.  I want to send resumes, I want to blog with the best of 'em, and I can't wait to tackle household projects.  I'm ready to take on the world -- a feeling which, unfortunately, doesn't always follow me home.  But it sure feels good while it lasts.


As I walk, I also people-watch.  I usually briefly fixate on a face and attach (in my mind) a supposed name and backstory to that person.  It's good exercise for the imagination as well as the body.  Occasionally, peoples' identities are inadvertently revealed as they stop and greet family, friends or neighbors on the boardwalk and are greeted in return, often by name.  In any event, all this brings to mind my recent encounter with a man I privately dubbed as the "Mayor of Town".

I was in good spirits that day.  It was sunny, the breeze was gentle, and the radio airwaves were filled with lively and inspiring tunes on the drive over.  I had never realized just how motivational a tune ELO's Don't Bring Me Down is until that day.  (I also pondered the identity of the mysterious Bruce referenced in the song, but according to the good folks at Wikipedia, that's another story for another day.)  I parked down at the far end of the boardwalk and began my trek, eager to move.

As I strode, I took note of my fellow walkers.  The elderly couple taking things slow.  The trio of bicyclists.  Best friends laughing and joking.  New mothers pushing their baby carriages at an enviable clip.  College students, retirees, and seemingly unemployed souls like myself, strolling and striving to stay motivated.  The one thing that appeals to me most about the boardwalk is that it is such an equalizer.  There are all walks of life to be found on a boardwalk.  Everyone congregates in that one place for some version of the same purpose -- a pensive constitutional -- but everyone moves by way of their own method, by their own motivation, and at their own proper pace.  There is, after all, no singular way to walk on a boardwalk.  It's an individual thing. 

The Mayor of Town appeared midway through my walk at the main entrance, laughing and joking with two fellow cronies.  He was nondescript in appearance, probably in his early 60s.  I never learned his name.  I just nicknamed him the Mayor of Town on account of his demeanor -- friendly and outgoing.  This man seemed to know just about everyone he passed and if he could've shaken hands and kissed babies, politico-style, he would've done it.  I prefer solitude when strolling, so I tried not to make eye contact, but there was something intriguing about the Mayor of Town, something to learn about him and something to be learned from him.  It may have been his impressive stamina as he walked.  Many people in his age group aren't physically able to keep his impressive pace.  Perhaps it was his friendly, positive demeanor as he very much seemed to be a man of the people, stopping and chatting with many as he made his way down the boardwalk.  But I believe the most impressive thing about the Mayor of Town was his sheer love for the great outdoors.  It was easy to see that he was basking in his seaside surroundings, loving the fresh air as well as the freedom that comes from being out in it. 

I am in awe and envy of this energetic, exuberant gentleman.  He will never know this, of course, but whomever this man may be, he is an inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment