Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Very Vegan Journey

In my Blogspot bio, I note that I'm a vegetarian, attempting to go vegan.  Since I haven't discussed veganism very much at all, I've decided to give it the blog treatment by way of a not-so-brief exegesis.



I'm actually a longtime vegetarian (30-plus years), having been raised as an herbivore since childhood.  My mother had been an on and off vegetarian throughout her early childhood and teenage years.  As a young adult, she was a meat-eater, but once she was married and had small children to raise, she shifted her thinking to a health and wellness approach.  As a result, my brother and I have both been raised as vegetarians.  Growing up, we were fortunate to be surrounded by other families following the same dietary philosophy as the pastor of our church and his family were also vegetarians, in addition to a handful of other church members.  So we certainly weren't alone, and I don't even think it was coincidental that we were in like company.  Vegetarianism is not a trend confined to the random follower.  It is a lifestyle choice rooted in concern for one's health and wellbeing, which really is a universal.  As a result, vegetarianism (and veganism) has gained momentum amongst the health-conscious -- momentum which has only increased as people continue to educate themselves about the importance of diet.  For ourselves, it was good to be surrounded with this kind of support and it certainly made us less conspicuous.  As a result, any teasing or nosy questions weren't much of an issue.  There is nothing a person following a particular dietary philosophy likes less than having to justify the food on his/her plate, so when you're surrounded by folks who share your dietary beliefs -- or those who respect your food choices -- odds are you won't be questioned. 

As an adult, I've been fortunate to acquire friends who are either vegetarian, partially vegetarian, occasionally vegetarian or just plain health conscientious.  I also have very understanding carnivorous friends who would never dream of questioning my diet.  And nor would I question theirs as I firmly believe that friends should respect friends and their personal choices.  Prior to being laid off from my job, I worked directly with a woman who identified as vegetarian and as an animal lover, although she wasn't quite as adherent.  She would recoil in horror if another co-worker brought up a barbecue they'd attended over the weekend or would rail against people who did not support her personal mission of feeding feral cats.  Yet, by her own admission, if she was served a meat dish at a carnivorous dinner party, she would not turn it down because she did not want to put the host(s) through any trouble.  So although our dietary approaches differed, I did not -- and do not -- judge her.   

In 2007, I was single and quite selective in terms of the opposite sex.  My original criteria for a soulmate had less to do with diet and more to do with the three traits of intelligence, compassion, and compatibility.  As it happened, I was fortunate to find all three -- and so much more -- after the recently acquired boyfriend of a good friend of mine suggested I meet an old college friend of his.  I was somewhat reluctant about a get-together, although I did agree to an email exchange and we began to communicate online.  Cautious and a bit bashful, I remained on the fence for a couple of months until I learned that the friend in question was also a vegetarian, at which point I decided that I simply had to meet him.  And when we finally did get together (at a vegetarian restaurant, of course), I learned that not only did he share my dietary philosophy, his brother was a vegetarian as well.  And so, the trend of being surrounded by my own kind continued.

Last year, my boyfriend and his brother transitioned from vegetarianism to veganism.  It wasn't a difficult decision as they are both firmly committed to their health as well as to animal rights.  I stayed in the vegetarian camp for whatever reason, but have recently started on my very own vegan journey.  Health and wellness remains at the forefront of my dietary mission, although I certainly support the cause of animal rights.  As was the case with my favorite set of brothers, the transition hasn't been especially challenging for me.  True, I've had to part ways with dairy, so this means no more milk, eggs, Carvel ice cream or goodies from my local bakery.  But the majority of the cooking I do is either vegan to begin with or can be very easily veganized, so it's really not an issue.  As for my health, I've never felt better -- plus I recently lost nearly forty pounds, so something must be working in my favor. 

For me, my dietary choices are just that -- a personal decision which I would never foist upon others.  Obviously, I would be positively thrilled if society would collectively move toward healthier and gentler dietary decisions, but again, I don't judge anyone for the decisions they make, nor would I want anyone questioning me for the same reason.  It's all about mutual respect.  You probably won't find me at a protest rally on the subject (or related matters to the subject) because I'm a believer in unseen crusades, not public displays -- although I certainly support those who do rally as it is their right to do so.  I'm all in favor of anyone who passionately stands up for their beliefs or who lends a voice for those who cannot speak.  Advocacy is so important.  But it just isn't for me.  I've found that by simply being the person I am and living as I always do, I make a far greater impression on the curious. 

I've tried to pinpoint a famous quote to sum up my feelings on the subject, and while there are many great words on vegetarianism, veganism, animal rights and such, the quote below really spoke to me.  I hope it'll reach you as well.

"I've found without question that the best way to lead others to a more plant-based diet is by example - to lead with your fork, not your mouth."  ~Bernie Wilke, quoted in Joanne Stepaniak, The Vegan Sourcebook, 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment