Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Humanity, Humility, and a Helping Hand

For varied and personal reasons, I made a personal vow nearly two years ago to help the homeless as well as children with cleft palate.  It's a vow I've recently renewed, despite being unemployed at present time.  Regardless of my personal and/or financial circumstances, the bottom line is that the need for action still remains on behalf of those who need assistance the most.  So I'm back on board with my vow, hoping to extend a helping hand in whatever way I can.

                                   

But how?  Since I'm living on a limited budget these days, I cannot contribute as much financially as I normally would.  This is not to say that I won't make the occasional modest cash donation.  In any event, my thoughts have turned to creative ways in which I can help without reaching too far into my wallet.  So for starters, I've decided to utilize this blog as a springboard, along with other social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, et cetera.).  The purpose of today's entry is simply to raise awareness of my personal mission.  For readers who'd like to contribute to these causes, obviously I'd be forever grateful, and I've included a few links to the right of this blog under the banner of Homeless Outreach / Cleft Palate Relief Effort -- but that's as far as I'll go with any financial appeals.  There's nothing I despise more than constant hit-ups for cash-for-causes, so I refuse to be that annoying person.

Of course, cash will carry only so far, so I also want to be physically proactive with my mission.  The obvious outlet is to volunteer at the local thrift shop where my mother hangs her hat three days a week for several hours at a clip.  The thrift shop serves the under-served in my community as well as those experiencing financial difficulties who are in need of clothing or small household items at discounted rates.  I've been toying with the idea of volunteering for the past couple of months now, so I may very well make it a reality. 

The reason why I decided to revive this mission was because it recently occurred to me that I've been writing a lot lately about the unemployment situation, job search tips, and other assorted miscellaneous subject matter.  While these topics are interesting and relevant to many, the fact still remains that it's Pensive Proofreader-centered and all about me, my job search, and the occasional random observation -- which may not necessarily be a good thing.  I'd like to think my ego is a healthy one, but there are times when it's necessary for a quick status/reality check and this is one of those times.  Yes, I need a job, but then again, so do millions of unemployed  people.  I am not unique.  Quite the opposite, actually.  I have the same need(s) as many others.  What I am is actually quite fortunate -- a fact which I tend to forget at times.  I live in a home which is heated in the winter and cool in the summer.  There's food on the table.  There's clean water in which to bathe and wash dishes.  So far, I've been able to meet my financial obligations despite being out of work.  So I really am blessed.  But the fact remains that others are not as fortunate.  So if I can help them, I will.  This is not just a blog entry.  It's a vow.

Before drawing the curtain on today's entry, I wanted to include the Facebook status that a friend posted this morning as it's timely and relevant.  It's also a good reminder, not just to the unemployed masses, but to all people that it's crucial to stay motivated even when it seems as if circumstances are conspiring against you.  I hope this passage speaks to you as it did me, and as you read it, please remember the less fortunate, many of whom have completely lost hope.  Even though you may feel discouraged for whatever reason, please keep moving in their honor. 

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit-
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Success is failure turned inside out -
The silver tint in the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It might be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit. 

                                             -- Author Unknown

1 comment:

  1. Veronica Quinones-JamesNovember 2, 2011 at 9:11 PM

    This is an inspiration...for the occasional observation always helps another...continue and keep strong to your vow...i will be signing in to read in the future...

    ReplyDelete