Saturday, November 5, 2011

Rest in Peace, Andy Rooney

Less than a month ago, I posted here on The Pensive Proofreader what essentially became a tribute to veteran broadcaster, Andy Rooney, formerly of CBS's 60 Minutes.  My reasons for posting on this topic had less to do with Mr. Rooney's professional accomplishments and more to do with the current crop of broadcasters, many of whom lack the academic background and journalistic zeal which Mr. Rooney certainly possessed.  Generally speaking, I disdain pretty on-air faces which have failed to pay their dues, and felt that Mr. Rooney, an old school journalist, was considerably more deserving of any accolades I could give.  But while I have the utmost respect for Mr. Rooney's storied career in broadcasting, I was far from a fan.  Occasionally, I caught his segments on 60 Minutes, but never made it a particular point to sit down and watch.


Perhaps I should have sat down and tuned in more often.  Quite possibly, I might have learned something from Mr. Rooney, whose career was occasionally checkered with comments which he may or may not have regretted.  For these remarks, he was properly taken to task and was seemingly contrite.  Of course, no one knows exactly what was in Mr. Rooney's heart or in his head, but I'd like to think he knew to do the right thing.  So if I'd paid more attention to his work on 60 Minutes, perhaps I would've taken away how to gracefully emerge from a hailstorm of controversy, as he did.  I might have discovered the sheer joy of straightforwardness.  Or maybe I would've gained greater insight into the mindset of a man who'd lived through the Great Depression, had seen combat in World War II, and who helped shaped broadcast journalism into what it is today.  Love him or hate him, Andy Rooney was a man of myriad musings, a gifted writer, and a proud American.  And for this, I salute him.

Rest in peace, Andy Rooney (1919-2011).

No comments:

Post a Comment